Sunday, March 7, 2010

Try not to become a man of success but a man of value. -Albert Einstein


Little did I know that my last year competing for Miss California would start with a blue cast. Picture this: as I lay on the ground after my clumsy fall, the first thing that came into my head after, “OUCH” was, “No, no, no. Ohhhh no. How am I going to be able to practice piano???” I was met with an outpour of support from family and friends. The next week I sat on my piano bench staring at the cold black and white lonely keys and I thought to myself, “How am I going to do this?” After some modifications of my practice regimen, I found myself actually enjoying focusing on only 5 fingers instead of 10. I had to remind myself daily that everything happens for a reason and God brings certain events in and out of our lives to make us stronger and to grow from the experience. I wasn’t sure why I had to break my wrist, but I did know that I was going to make the most of the situation and I would somehow find the strength to make myself stronger and more mentally prepared.

I am competing for Miss Gavilan Hills/ Miss Northern California Regional on April 10th, 2010. I am raising money for the Children’s Miracle Network in support of our partnership with CMN. This is a fantastic organization that is very dear to my heart so if you would like to make a difference in some very sick children’s life, please visit this link to donate even $1.00 to a very worthwhile effort:

Jenna's Children's Miracle Network Page

This weekend I was off to the Miss Sonoma County Pageant where my Miss California friend Kim Stout gave up her title as Miss Sonoma 2009. Congratulations to Alison Levie our new 2010 Miss Sonoma County.
With the visiting representatives at the Miss Sonoma Pageant

Miss Solono County Executive Director, Gabino Lopez, and I during intermission

Sarah Rutan and I mingling while we can- before we got lost backstage!

We'll miss you Kimi!

Next weekend, March 13th, I will be working at a St. Baldricks event and serving with the Kiwanis Club. We will be promoting not only Kiwanis but also heightening awareness to the St. Baldricks Foundation. I’ve recently learned that in the US, more children die of childhood cancer than any other disease. In fact, every 3.5 minutes another child is diagnosed with cancer. Over 106,000 volunteers have shaved their heads in harmony with the innocent kids battling cancer. This year you probably won’t see me shaving my head, but I think it would be an enlightening experience for myself when the time is right. To say that I’m looking forward to a fun filled festival day promoting Miss America and this wonderful event is an understatement. After next weekend, I have Miss San Francisco to look forward to on March 27th, and raising money for the Miss San Jose/ South Bay/ Gavilan Hills/ Northern California Regional/ Silicon Valley/ Bay Area pageants. Hopefully we can find plenty of sponsors for this year’s pageant so we have great scholarships to give out.

No comments:

Post a Comment