Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wedding Bells

Yesterday my beautiful cousin Shannon (now) Katuszonek was wed to my new cousin Paul in a picture perfect ceremony at the River Mill in French Camp, California. We stood beneath a stunning oak tree surrounded by multi colored rose gardens, plush greenery, ivy covered gazebos, and vintage pillars. Although I lost the pool betting that Paul was going to cry like a little girl, luckily Shannon was there to hold him up because I am pretty sure he was going to faint due to his leg tremor. Maybe he was just really good at covering up those tears. My heart couldn’t help but smile at the look of genuine love between the two of them. It was a fairytale moment. I want my husband to look at me the same way I will remember him looking at Shannon.

It was a long day as our hair and make-up appointments and the usual female primping started at 8 AM at Aunt Cindy and Uncle Mike's ranch. I learned a lot from Shannon that day. I learned exactly how I want to be on my wedding day. I sat in suspense secretly waiting for a break down or a meltdown over something that went wrong… but that million watt smile of hers never left her face. She was ecstatic with her hair, she loved her makeup, she didn’t seem to mind the minor tuxedo disaster mix up, nor that the event planner was, in my opinion, kind of crazy, nor that we went completely off schedule and started running late. She sat back with her mimosa smiling at the slight chaos surrounding her. There was no Bridezilla moment- I was expecting a great comical story to share with their kids someday. Family members from all around the states came in to join the festivities, and we sat around giggling through the morning enjoying Aunt Cindy’s delicious omelet casserole, fresh fruit, sparkling cider, and the much appreciated warm California day. I asked her why she was so calm and she said it was easy because nothing could go wrong as long as she got to kiss the man of her dreams that afternoon. (Insert actual choked up tear here).
 A picture I took of my beautiful cousin
  
Wedding Bells and Missing Cells… there was something else that happened during the reception, but it was a sacrifice I am alright with to let go, in surrendering to getting a wonderful new cousin to add to our crazy clan!

Somewhere during the bouquet toss and The Eagles Hotel California someone decided that my old LG phone seemed quite captivating and they wanted it. I was sitting at the head table, so I am still a little surprised someone was bold enough to take it from the front of the room. And the worst part? I didn’t even catch the bouquet… but then again, marriage doesn’t need to be on the horizon for a Miss California contestant anyways, right? Well, wherever you are little phone, I hope your new owner appreciates Stefani’s Sadie puppy’s chew marks on the corner, and the large pink splot on the screen from being overheated after a day in the car, and the scratch across the camera, and the fact the calibration of the touch screen is way off… oh how you will be missed. I don’t care what they say… my phone was a champ. So what if I needed to remind myself the reasons not to throw it against the wall when it didn’t work, or when it dropped my calls 5 times over again- for I did not have to upgrade to some nonsense “data plan” or spend $400 on anything starting with an “i”. Perhaps I was outdated, perhaps I was slightly poor, perhaps I wasn’t up with current times and the trends but then again that is debatable as obviously SOMEone thought I was way cool with my puppy chewed beat up LG. Whoever you are I hope you enjoy and find better use out of it than I did. Now, I get to go even more retro with my even OLDER brick of a phone! No worries, for those trying to get a hold of me I promise to get my old phone reactivated by Tuesday at the latest.

In spite of of the minor phone incident I had so much fun catching up with my family- brother and sister who live in San Diego and my mom who came in from Idaho, cousin Andy from out of state, and all of my family. My cousin Aaron and his band, The Dispensers, rocked the night away with classics from The Eagles, to The Beatles, to modern bands and everything in between. If you are looking for an AMAZING band in the Central Valley, please contact me for their information. This is not a family member being biased, I promise they are phenomenal. We all danced the night away until the lights in the hall came on.

Although I didn't catch the bouquet, Ryan caught the garter. He and Paul were so funny. Paul's like, enjoy my wife's sweaty swamp leg garter, man. And Ryan's like, I don't care man- this is pure sweat of good luck, and THROWS his hands in the air like he just scored a touchdown on Superbowl Sunday. I hope that picture turned out because their faces were priceless.

My exhaustion set in before we even reached the valet walking through the maze of paths through the gardens and illuminated flickering lamps. I closed my eyes when I sat down in the backseat for just a split second and when I opened them I was staring at the garage. Oooh, 6 AM was going to come around way too quickly to get up to get myself ready for Mock Interviews. And it did. But only after fond memories of a day I will never forget. I love you, Shannon and Paul. You guys are two of our best friends- I cannot express enough how proud I felt to be standing next to you both. You are beautiful and genuine and I hope my fairytale dream wedding is exactly like yours.  And I hope that someday my maid of honor is awesome as my cousin Liz! You kind of rock at that job.  I need to stop being around all these beautiful brides, I'm feeling a little depressed about myself... Now go make me some beautiful babies. I want some mini cousins to play dress up with! Liz and Jim are going to need some company anyways for the girls! I banking on a girl. I totally won't lose that bet, Paul. You're going to cry like a baby and she's going to have you so wrapped around her finger that it will be pitiful to watch.

Cheers and goodnight from one lucky, happy, blessed, smiling little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment