Sunday, July 11, 2010

Thank you's that won't do justice...

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

As I look back on my memories at Miss California, I try to ponder ways of expressing my sincere gratitude to those who made my year happen. I would like to make a list of thank you's to those who REALLY have made a difference in my life. It's not about those that where there when I needed them; it's who has been here the entire time. Too often, the minute many people think they are going to lose something, it suddenly becomes the most important thing in their life. So we stay away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. As Mark Twain said, small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. And this is only a small list of people who have made me feel great all along and were here for me.

First and foremost, my beautiful executive director Joyce Patereau. Joyce not only owns a travel agency, but she maintains a family, the oldest open pageant in California, 2 titleholders and everything else in between. She has been on my team since day 1 and has expressed her "belief" in me for longer than I have deserved. Through e-mails, phone calls, voicemails, gifts, cards, hugs, and words of encouragement I learned to believe in myself. She is phenomenal and everything I could ever wish for in an Executive Director. She is exactly the woman I hope to grow up to be someday. And to our trusty go-to man... PAUL SANFILIPO!  Your support also stems FAR beyond Miss California week and goes to backstage at our local pageant. From talent run-throughs, to hugs, and taking BILLIONS of pictures with me (and always smiling for them!), and buying me lunch, and gifts of good luck, always being honest with me (I can ALWAYS ask you for your opinion because I know you will tell me the truth [which I love]), and sending a special smile to remind me that everything will be okay... you are just the best and so VERY appreciated.

Mary McCaman: I am not sure I can find the words to express my sicerest gratitude for Mary's advise, support, and generosity over the last few years. If you like any of my outfits... shoes, swimsuit, dresses, etc... they are Mary's and they are for rent. She has the most reasonable prices in California, the best quality of clothing, and the friendliest atmosphere.

Dmccama@pacbell.net
I assure you, you will not be disappointed. Imagine walking into a bedroom that is a closet. Stocked with the finest quality, most up to date clothes, all within reasonable attainment and affordable prices. You don't leave Mary's without feeling confident, prepared, and accomplished. I would never have achieved my success without Mary on my team. Her support wasn't solely through clothing. Mary puts on Donna Jones' field workshops, workshops for the "Santa Clara Auxiliary, and always has the right words to say.  And an extra special thanks to Mary's family; Dave, Liz,and Christine, for supporting the many people who invade their home but are always gracious and welcoming. I can only imagine that it is overwhelming at times with so many people ALWAYS in your home, but your continual good spirits are noticed and appreciated.

Sonoma Tanning:  Sonoma Tanning provides a tanning service for all the Miss California contestants... for FREE. I cannot begin to fathom the amount of dedication and discipline required to put on the production they do backstage. I would not come close to having the confidence I have on stage when competing without Kelly Richardson and her "gang" giving me the healthy glow I desire (without the dangerous side effects of UV tanning!). Sonoma Tanning has consultants throughout California and they will even come to YOU! If you want a superior tan for an incredible price, I encourage you to contact them for a quote. This is a not-so-secret I think every successful contestant needs to discover. Sonoma Tanning knows how important it is to look and feel great on stage. So experienced airbrush tanning professionals give contestants the sought after desired glow.

4795 Old Redwoods Highway Suite D
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
(707) 546-1452

Tony Moises: For his friendship, his belief in me, his weekly news summaries, our mock-interview-phone-dates, actual mock interviews, for driving hours to come meet me, for voicemails, texts, and calls of encouragement, for reminding me why I'm worth it, and helping me discover who I really am. I think I will just have to leave it at that because he knows I get choked up talking about what he has done for me since 2004. He announced my win at my very first pageant, he announced my win at my very last pageant and he filled in the gaps in between believing in me. Tony really is the man. 

To the "Auxiliary": Stephanie Schutt, Laura Johnston, Joni Cronin, Mrs. Rosa: Your undying support and help during times I would never have expected it makes me smile. I owe you so much and I value each and every one of you more than you could imagine.

To Donna Jones: You remind me of the kind of woman I hope to turn out to be. You enrich the lives of so many girls and you have given me an opportunity that I could never repay you for. You hold such a special spot in my heart and I will ALWAYS be proud to be a Donna's Diva!!! 

To our hostesses, and Bistro ladies: Connie L, Connie T, Merri, Vera, Chelle, Patti, and Bernie, and Wendy, and Laurece... You are some of the most extraordinary people I have ever met, and I am your biggest fan. These are the women who sit with us ALL week at Miss California. They shuttle us, herd us, love us, protect us, and are our friends. They are the first ones to give us a hug in the morning (bright and early), and the last ones to shoo us to bed. When the going gets tough, as it inevitably does, we count on them for a shoulder to cry on. They lift us up when we fall, and they hold us and tell us, "Everything is going to be okay." I am so thankful for these women. They are priceless.   And of course I can't forget everyone else backstage throughout the week- those who donated meals, those who served meals, those who donated the most priceless gift of all- their time- and of course I can't forget the hairdressers from Reflections... for helping us look our best! And to LINDA ONTIVEROS! Our INCREDIBLE make-up artist who "touched up" all of the contestants!!!


To my Miss California sisters (way back to 2004) and my sweetheart sisters: do I really need to list names? I think that they know. Nothing specific really. They just know. And I think that is all that you can ever ask for from a friend. Skyping, emailing, texting, snuggling, laughing, pictures upon pictures, inside jokes, and fun memories... You know who you are and you know how I feel. I love you, I love you, I love you. It's the girls that have light genuinely shining through their eyes and their smile. You truly complete my life.  It's the days we sit around and do nothing. It's the moments we laugh so hard we cry. It's the way we look at each other and know what's going through our heads. It's the silly pictures and inside jokes. It's that we live hundreds or thousands of miles apart but when we see each other again nothing has changed. It's the reason we're inseparable friends.

To Bob Arnhym: The work you put in to 56 daughters (annualy) is unthinkable. You love each of us and you give us the opportunity to grow under the Miss California wing. We are so proud to be "your girls". It brings tears to my eyes trying to write you a thank you because I just don't know how to express how grateful I am to have been a part of your team. Your support, your hugs, your enthusiasm, and your sincerity is irreplaceable. You are an asset to this organization and we cherish you being around.

To Ron and Kay Williams and the Lloyd family: you know that you built me into the woman I am today. You molded my perception of what this program is all about, and all of the above would not have been possible without you behind me from the time I won Miss Stanislaus to the present. 

To my WHOLE family: while family is certainly tied by love, not blood... you have given me the understanding of what unconditional love should look like. I wake up so happy every day for the support you have given me. Again, you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment