Friday, July 2, 2010

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save.


I pull up into the circular carport at the Radisson and stepped out into the scorching Fresno sun... and I realized something; I was actually here. I was going to compete for the title of Miss California 2010. One of these beautiful women would be at Miss America 2011, and I will know her- in fact, I could be her. But whoever she is, Miss California is going to be phenomenal. As I scanned the carloads of girls arriving around me with my teary eyes, I smiled and stepped through the glass sliding doors like a nervous second grader on her 1st day of school...


 I do not win the award for least bags packed...but I'm in the running for organization.
Rewind to 1:45 am the night before I leave for Miss California: I am downstairs huddled around my laptop finishing up my last "Insanity" workout video. There are dress bags hanging from the lamps, the chandeliers, the door panels; there are bags and boxes lined up up along the couch. I finish up my ab workout and lay on the couch trying to remember every single thing I have ever done in my life, the judges names, the judges kids and pets' names, why I wanted to be Miss California, and then I didn't want to think of these things anymore. When you arrive in Fresno, there are so many people to meet, so many things to do, so many opportunities to relax, that it is vital to not overwork yourself. 
Earlier that night, I was greeted by my family and friends with pink and purple frosted cookies with my name engraved on the tops, ice cream (of course I did not pass), and the happiest, most supportive attitudes a girl could wish for. I am sure Steffen was thrilled to look at my "pretty dresses" but I know everyone had a great time. I could not have been more appreciative. Not one bit. I was exhausted from my seemingly wasted day: I got a hair cut, I had my nails done, I got a pedicure, I exfoliated in the shower, I bought extra cosmetics, I got my annual doctors appointment out of the way (and my annual 45 minute office wait time too), dropped off a prescription, picked up the prescription, stopped by to say my last goodbyes to family and friends, and practiced piano until my wrists ached. I talked with Tony for our last "Interview Phone Chat" and naturally he reminded me why I am great and gave me the confidence boost to believe in myself. We discussed the things I hoped the judges would learn about me, and how to articulate those things best. We have beat current events into the ground so much that we both were unsure there was anything left to say. 1 day left... 1000 emotions. But these are the moments. And this is the year I am 100% confident there is nothing more I could have done to prepare myself for this day- the day I leave- so it is in God's hands and I can only do my best.
 

After our PIZZA PARTY (yummy!) we enjoyed cookies as our hostesses gave us our schedule for the week and Bob talked about expectations and then "released" us to the hostesses. It was Lana Brewster and Tiffany Tam's birthday today so Mary McCaman and Joni Cronin bought them the most beautiful cake and all the girls sang them happy birthday (thank you singers for harmonizing). You would have had to have been there to feel the love and support in that room. It is incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment