Friday, June 26, 2009

Miss California Day 8- Friday June 26th

Here are some fun pictures from "Behind the Curtain"!
I was thinking about keeping my hair exactly as is...

Practicing on the "piano" backstage

Evening Wear Competition











I am tired, so there is not much time to update everyone! We had to record our talent introductions for the top 12 this morning. I cried because I sound so horrible. I think I realized that as much as I had prayed, my voice would not be joining me that night. I finally threw my hands up and told myself it didn’t matter. The judges heard my real voice on Tuesday so I’m sure they would remember I normally don’t sound like I have been a lifelong smoker! I was the last one to be recorded and I just wanted to get it over with, so while other girls spent a long time huddled in corners scribbling something to say, I walked into the room and started talking and then said, “okay, that works! Thank you!” and walked out.

I opened up my two notes from my ED Stephanie Schutt and my Grandma Vicki. Each gave me a note for every day I have been at the competition and they really lifted my spirits today. I appreciated them every day, but especially today because I have been feeling kind of down- mostly because I am not feeling well!

I was very proud of myself for on stage question. I was asked what I was most looking forward to on President Obama’s agenda. I said (something along the lines of) I was looking forward to universal healthcare, but first I had some questions I wanted him to answer before he had my full support, including how he will screen for doctor quality, and also how he plans to protect patient confidentiality. I said once my questions were answered I could support him and we could be on our way to a proactive system. I had some claps from the audience, too. As a pre-med student I had SOOOO many other things to say about Universal Healthcare, but as any contestant could agree it is nerve wracking to stand in front of such a large crowd, knowing you are being graded and judged, and trying to say something intelligent! I kept telling myself, breathe, smile, speak. All in all, I was satisfied with my answer. I think we all come off and say, “I wish I would have said…” or “I wished I would have added…”, but I did what I did, and I was SO relieved that the competition was OVER!

At the visitation after, Bob distributed several awards, including my rookie ED, Stephanie Schutt, and two other rookie ED’s who also happen to hold a VERY special spot in my heart, Rachelle King (Gavilan Hills) and Laura Johnson (San Jose). We also received some devastating news. Jane Maxwell, who I had gotten to know very well through Miss Sacramento, had passed away earlier that day. There are no words of consolation any of us can offer to April Smith and the Sacramento committee, but I hope they know my heart goes out to them and they are in my heart and prayers during this very difficult time. I had to fight back tears because I can personally attest that I was fortunate to have been blessed with Jane’s incredible and amazing personality and experience part of her commitment and dedication to the Miss California Organization. It is women who truly believe in this organization that keep us running and she will forever be a part of our memories.

Of course, and congrats to Friday nights preliminary winners, Megan Lyne for talent (double prelim winner, you go girl!) and Kristy Cavinder for evening wear! Hey, at least I got to go BEFORE Kristy in evening gown, she is stunningly beautiful. Summer really worked her talent, too. I was such a proud roommate. I ran down from the backstage dressing room to watch her flirt with the audience in her sassy jazz ballet en point. I am looking forward to tomorrow and seeing what the judges have in store for us! Wonderful job ladies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment