Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Orientation Dreaming

Remembering fun memorable days keeps me motivated!

I have had a sore throat and a touch of a cold this week, so I’ve been trying to keep up on my Vitamin C intake and getting plenty of rest while running last minute errands. I am meeting Lindsay Becker off of the 99 to start our journey to Fres-yes. We have a jam-packed day Saturday- walking/ movement workshops, we will do our talent run through, attend current events/issues forum with Bob Arnhym, record our talent introductions, have a make-up lesson with Linda Ontiveros, and lunch in the meantime, as well as a dinner and then production rehearsal after dinner. On Sunday, we will take our “Field” pictures for the program book and then have more rehearsals following. We will be done on Sunday around 3:30 PM and I will be on my way back with Lindsay. Today was somewhat low-key, I ate a delicious chicken burger and a salad at Burgers and Brew, finalized my packing list for this weekend, and began organizing my things so that I have a jump start on packing. Fresno may only be a 3 day trip… but you would be surprised at the things we have to take in order to be prepared!!

Today was a rush of emotions. I can only use the expression that I have heard before- I am 99% excited and 1% terrified. I hope to find friendly faces among the crowd. I hope to focus so I can remember those darn dance routines. I hope to laugh and create lifelong memories and friends, but most of all, I hope to have FUN! We will finally learn our placements and show orders, what our production number songs will be, what to wear, what events will take place during pageant week, and who our roommates will be. I’m very, VERY fortunate this year as I have the coolest, prettiest, funniest, most full of life and down-to-earth roommate on planet earth- Cori Coleman, Miss Southland. Last year, I fell in love with her lovable welcoming personality; saying that I am ecstatic that we are now roommates is an understatement. Every year my experience gets better and somehow when I start out, I don’t think it will ever be able to be topped… but this year might do just that.

Serious preparation and tough competition are twin realities behind the glamor of Miss California. From the audience, people might see well-proportioned bodies and pretty smiles, but we know backstage that it’s really a matter of hard work, preparation, and an enthusiasm to listen to advice. We all need help when we start our journey to Miss California, I know I owe much of my success last year to the guidance and tips from those around me. This year, as I embark on my journey, I am finding that sometimes, the truth hurts; but a willingness to learn and improve are two things I consider to be the hallmarks of growth. It doesn’t matter what people advise me to do, because I am so incredibly thankful to even be one of the very blessed few to have been selected for the Miss California class of 2010. My best advice to myself and my fellow sisters is to remember to keep your eyes forward not to the sides. Take pride in our accomplishments while coming into “pageant week” with an open heart and mind- leaving the rest in the hands of the Lord and knowing that what was meant to be will happen.

Something VERY exciting is happening soon, as well! I will be teaming up with local Kiwani’s and high school Key Clubs to be putting on another round of 30 Ways in 30 Days Challenge. This is a 30 day challenge of helping 30 times in one month. Day 30 showcases “Get Up, Stand Up,” a documentary that summarizes the impact that the volunteers made in the last 30 days and incorporates ways to get involved in international relief organizations as well. I knew from a young age that I had an ability to make people feel valuable- and my Miss California home is a great place to start. So my hope is to bring excitement to the idea of volunteering. I thank my judges, my committee, my family, and my friends for giving me this opportunity.

*Do not let someone else's opinion of you change who you are* - I don't know who originally said this, but I quote it from my friend Kari Gai Miss Missouri's Sweetheart


2 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful weekend! As always, wishing you well and thinking of you (daily? hourly? BY THE SECOND!).
    xoxo
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say you have grown so much sense 2008. I am proud of you girl!

    ReplyDelete