Sunday, April 18, 2010

Workshop 2010

The workshop had a HUGE turnout and I met even more friends, and caught up with my old ones. I was mad at myself because my camera battery died the night before and I forgot my charger, so unfortunately I did not take any pictures. But at least I have memories that will last for a lifetime.

We arrived at 8:30 to a delicious brunch, and a group of smiling volunteers. Donna Jones our beautiful Field Director introduced what to expect during the day and gave some wonderful advice on what to expect at Miss California. It was really fun to look around to see eager eyes anticipating and day dreaming about how this experience will change our lives. My dear friend Laura Johnston, who is the Miss San Jose Executive Director, gave a presentation entitled “Countdown to the Crown” which included everything you could possibly want to know to show up in Fresno best prepared, what to expect at orientation as well as during pageant week. I am slightly envious of the “first timers”- there is something so special and enchanting about awaiting the experience; however, at the same time I am grateful to know what I need to do. This year will not be accompanied by a tearful fear filled did-I-forget-something departure, clothes limply spilling out of my dresser, hair and make-up products scattered over the floor, as a sit on my suitcase trying to get it to close... not that that ever happened to me... but instead this year I will be packed a few days before I leave and my "departure day" will be a calm throw-the-bags-in-the-car and relax on our way down. Much of my lunch and free time was spent answering questions from a few girls who wanted to know what I suggested to pack, what to wear, what to do before and during the arrival, etc. I am always glad to share whatever it is I know as I wished I had more girls who had already lived this experience to tell me what to expect my first year.

Michelle Symes from the Miss Merced Pageant gave us a great presentation on interview training with a hysterical, but very true anecdote, on generational differences and how we need to take them into consideration when prepping. Then... "dun dun duun" the dreaded on stage question practice. I will be the first to admit there is nothing more terrifying than standing in front of your peers answering a question that you have no idea what is coming, while sounding articulate, not over the top, and approachable. At that moment I almost begged for a panel of seven strangers or an audience of 7,000. The friendly beautiful faces stared right up at me, and there I was nervous as could be. Everyone did a fantastic job and let me tell you- if you can get through answering a question in front of this crowd, you will be just fine in any other area or with any other audience. I was a very proud sister watching all of my Miss Cali sisters stand up in front of that room with confidence and answer tough questions.

Linda Ontiveros, who is the official Miss California make-up artist, came and gave a make-up training. Her philosophy that make-up really is like a science AND an art is very true. You wouldn’t even begin to know what we have to remember to put make-up on!! Finally, our beautiful Miss California 2008, Jackie Geist, came and helped us with swimsuit and evening gown walk. After the several hours (that I didn’t want to end) ended we walked over to Mary McCaman’s house where she had a feast that was enough for an army. Tubs of Chinese-chicken salad, build-it-yourself sandwich platters, fruit platters, veggie platters, meatballs, rolls, vegetarian options, cookies, desserts, and much more- no one went home hungry and if they did it was their own fault! Contestants browsed her closet for gowns, interview outfits, shoes, jewelry, and swimsuits and others watched Miss America interview DVD’s.

I couldn't help but to take a silent moment to myself when I walked into Mary's living room and smile as I looked around and saw girls scattered across the house- a few in "the closet" with their mom's or ED's, a few curled up Indian-sytle on the soft carpet pressing their ears into the television listening to the 2010 Miss America Interview DVD, many laughing in unison outside on Mary's back patio in the sunshine, and other groups scattered around the yard basking in the rays on the grass giggling with fellow contestants. What a special time. It was a moment that I didn't want to end, as I listened to the laughter and shrills of joy from girls as they conversed and learned more about each others lives. I am pretty confident that this was one of the most productive events of the year for me and now… the countdown has begun. Miss California 2010 Pageant… here we come!



I’m driving in the sunset back to Modesto singing Michael Buble like a broken record and I realize that I just need to hear one of my Sweetheart sister’s voice. I call Miss Louisiana’s Sweetheart, Hope Anderson (this means she was 1st runner up to Miss Louisiana) as I drive under an exceptionally low flying 747 at the San Jose airport. I had almost 2 hours to kill before I got home, so I knew she could keep me entertained for a portion of it. I told her about my competition gown and how it had finally been hemmed, the dress that she found and made me come try on at Gregory Ellenburg’s at the Miss America tradeshow. The dress that fit me like it was designed for me- the dress that is now my competition gown this July at Miss California. I beam with pride every time I tell the story of how we were “window-shopping” giggling as we tried on dresses we never could afford, reminiscing about our wonderful time the night before dancing to the water show in front of the Belagio, people watching at the hotel and eating an Italian dinner, and cramming all of the sweethearts into one of Hope’s beds in her hotel room to watch the Miss America Behind the Scenes as we screeched with joy when “our state” came on the screen, and all of our great memories together from the Sweetheart competition, bumping into familiar Sweetheart faces in the crowd. And then, a beam of light broke through the sky and Hope came up to me, her million watt smile engaged, with this beautiful gown draped across her arms. She held her arms up, the dress gracefully draping to the floor, with those 5 year old “mommy-can-I-keep-it-eyes” and tells me to try it on. I check the price tag and politely say, “Really?” But I oblige- who can resist her pretty face? Little did we know that the dress would not only fit me perfectly but would be on sale to fit my budget? So Hope fills me in on everything that had been going on in Louisiana, I finally was able to fill her in the details from my pageant, we shared our goals for state, what we need to work on the most, what our competition wardrobe looks like, we dreamed and planned about our mini reunion with our friends which will be on the Bayou, and then I looked up and pulled into my driveway. Thank the Lord for free nights and weekend minutes. I am humbled at the sheer talent, class, beauty, and sincere goodness from the Sweetheart class of 2009. If I could have called every single one of my friends during that drive I certainly would have.

I am so excited to FINALLY meet all of the young women sharing a week together to support one lucky girl who will be our next Miss California 2010. It is hard to believe that time has passed so quickly, but here we are! I am leaving for orientation Friday afternoon, carpooling down with my friend Lindsay Becker, and I am on the edge of my seat waiting to get my line-up order!

1 comment:

  1. You look as gorgeous as ever. Know that you will ALWAYS have me in your cheering section...front row and center!

    ReplyDelete