Thursday, September 10, 2009

Alas! I am home

Greetings my dedicated readers!
(Times must never change!)

I am home, rested, and alive! As I look back at my week in Hoopeston ("Huupstun") I feel so incredibly lucky to have so much support along the way. Now that I have had a few days to rest up, I feel like the luckiest little girl in the world. I cannot say thank you enough for the support felt from people who traveled to Illinois, as well as from all the way back in California.

Although I earned scholarships and gifts, the friendships and relationships I formed with so many people are priceless.

The very first day we arrived, our hosts were firm in letting us know that during this week in Hoopeston, we were to address ourselves as "Miss -State-". It was a funny feeling at first, but it was certainly enjoyed. In no way was this meant to diminish our current state titleholders, nor make them feel uneasy. Simply put, this town thrived off of the feeling that during their hometown celebration we were our state representatives and we were asked to respect their wishes.

Now that I am home, I hang up my Miss California sash and proudly put back on my Miss Silicon Valley sash. This is going to be a fabulous year and I have so much to look forward to. Our beautiful Miss California, Kristy Cavinder, is going to dominate the Miss America stage, and I am looking forward to cheering her on from (my first ever attended) Miss America audience. Now I have friends from almost every state that I will meet in Vegas to cheer on "our girl" with. It is an absolute honor to return back to my state under such a beautiful, sincere, and talented representative. So thank you Kristy, for allowing me to have my fun for a week in Illinois and (kind of) sharing your title. Kristy sent me a wonderful letter of good luck and it sat next to my bed on my nightstand all week. It reminded me what we were all there for- to return next year and give it our all to hopefully someday become Miss California. Kristy's kind words were that extra reminder to stay humble and gracious the entire way.

As I am sure you are eager to know, so these were my final results:
2nd runner-up
Friday Night Preliminary Talent Award

Outstanding Overall Talent Award


Being announced as the Overall Talent Winner. I was clearly shocked.
After the awards ceremony with all of my scholarship prizes
I take great pride in so many awards and honors because I worked very hard for this past week, and it was nice to see a tangible reward for all of my preparations, especially because I know so many other girls prepared very hard themselves. The recognition is certainly appreciated and not for an instant taken for granted! The following information is not to boast what I earned, rather a special thank you to all who generously donated to my journey.

As Second Runner Up I received:
  • $200 Scholarship- Hoopeston Jaycees
  • $100 Cash- Hoopeston Regional Health Center
  • $50 Savings Bond- Harris Agency
  • $50 Savings Bond- Silver Brothers
  • $30 Cash- The Mane Place
  • Kathy Van Zeeland Clutch- Gift Baskets by Wilma (adorable, by the way!)
  • Custom made Sweetheart pin by Unger's Jewlery
As the Overall Talent Winner, I received:
  • $100 Scholarship- Hooopeston Jaycees
  • $50 Savings Bond- Houmes Quality Construction
  • Custom made Sweetheart pin by Unger's Jewlery
As Preliminary Talent Winner, I received:
  • $25 Cash- Hoopeston Regional Health Center
Thank you again, to all businesses and families who opened their hearts and arms to so many grateful young women. You will forever be in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment