Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I'm Off to 'Huup-stun'

August 30, 2009

Dear Miss California Friends and Family:

The time has come! I am off to Hoopeston, Illinois today as Miss California’s National Sweetheart Pageant Representative! I land in Indianapolis, Indiana at 11 AM and my Sweetheart experience will begin! The good luck wishes and support I have received has been incredible and so appreciated. Thank you for all of your support to cheer me on during this exciting time. I wanted to tell you all about my unforgettable experience during my preparation. I am so proud to be a part of undeniably the best Miss America State Preliminary. I will be the first to admit that until I spoke with other contestants from other states how blessed and fortunate us California girls are! Since Hoopeston does not broadcast the pageant nor advertise it like we might expect, I am eager to share my thoughts about the show. After taking a few days to pack, put in the last minute work outs, and prepare for the competition, I finally have a few minutes to share some fun story about my preparation.

No matter what, this will be a fun week and I am walking with my head held high with pride of coming from a myriad of amazing Miss California’s, Miss California Sweetheart Representatives, and Miss California contestants. It’s also exciting to think that in just a few months we will all be cheering on our beautiful Kristy in Las Vegas! We all have so much to look forward to.

I felt it would be appropriate to thank a few individuals who stood out during my preparation. First off, the entire Preliminary Pageant Association board for their extremely generous contribution to my preparation. Mr. Bob Arnhym has graciously saw to it to set up several interview phone dates, help purchase my flight with me late at night over the phone, eased my nerves of what to expect in Hoopeston, and even stayed on the phone discussing politics and current events when I stopped for gas late at night in a remote area on the way home from Santa Clara. These are moments that remind me how many opportunities we have lying in front of us. The Miss CA PPA is truly the best in the nation for the amount of organization and generous contributions. Before I begin, I would like to mention two other individuals who selflessly created more opportunities for me to make the most out of my delegated preparation fund; first, wonderful Mary McCaman, who has opened the doors to her home and secondly, my incredible Executive Director, Stephanie Schutt. Mary personally envisioned and then funded my amazingly unique outfit for the “show me your shoes” type parade. Standby for more updates as I don’t want to ruin the surprise! After hours and hours of tearing through Mary’s closet trying to find the perfect gown, we not only found an elegant, first class competition wardrobe, but Mary personally saw to it that the dresses I fell in love with that did not actually fit were tailored to my size. From accessories, to sundresses, shoes, and cocktail dresses, Mary made sure that I left for Hoopeston dressed for success. It makes me smile out loud to see a woman who truly cares about girls yet asks for nothing in return. The great thing about having a trendy ED who happens to be the same size is that I borrowed a few outfits for my stay as well! While I come from a family not shy in love and support, it is instances like this of Mary and Stephanie’s generosity of helping me where it would have required me to spend the stipend on things that were needed but less of a priority. Stephanie coordinated so many meetings and helped me in areas I thought I needed to work on. A special thank you to Linda Ontiveros for meeting with me to go over make-up tips as well!

Since $200.00 was entrusted to me, I thought it would be proper to share where and how that money was spent- and I am confident it was spent wisely. I think it is fair to be open and honest with my decisions of where to allocate the money! I bought a package session for getting a base tan at Planet Beach, and then purchased 2 spray tans before I left. I also purchased some “essentials” from Linda Ontiveros in addition to her giving me a very generous discount and a few additional “on the house” items. Next was a few better quality hairstyling products and a haircut. (Luckily that was only $25.00 because I don’t die my hair :o) I bought a set of “press on” nails for my interview because I cannot have real nails because I play the piano. The Santa Clara Auxiliary paid for my 2 checked bags, the $25 fee charged for all piano players, and the production outfit fee, so that was a lot of money $aved as well.)

It sounds like we have a very busy schedule ahead of us! I wish I could give you more information of exactly what will be happening each day, but unfortunately I do not even know myself! I know Saturday there is a parade through the town and the competition is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting at 7PM. Hoopeston is so small that it does not even have a hotel so contestants stay with host families. I have three roommates: Kansas, New Mexico, and Florida. I am staying with a wonderful couple, Mr. Billy and Mrs. Monica. They have two children 7 and 4, and live just 7 miles from Hoopeston. Our house mom, Monica, sent an email out yesterday saying that she had been grocery shopping for our favorite foods! I smiled as I imagined her scavenging through the aisles, shopping cart in tow, looking for the foods we mentioned we liked on our questionnaires- my fruit basket, lemonade, and 100 calorie packs. That assures me they really care about making sure we are comfortable, which certainly eases my mind! They are giving us an entire floor of their home. Two girls will share the master bedroom and the other two will each take one of the kid’s rooms. I’m rooting for the monkey decorated room! My sparing packing experience has been quite comical too. I certainly have learned the value of “packing wisely.” I often am envious of dancers or singers because they can practice their talent basically wherever they want. I can’t haul a piano behind me onto the plane! But a sense of relief came over when I heard the pageant will be hosting a tuned baby grand piano.


We are blessed to have such great fans and supporters of Team California. I will try to keep you updated on the rest of my week as California’s Sweetheart Representative. Please feel free to drop me a note if you get a chance or ask any questions!

I would like to reiterate how grateful and genuinely honored I am for everyone who stood behind me- I know there are too many names to mention on here, but you know who you are, and that is what matters. The best memories come from simple moments- a pat on the back, and hug in passing by, a smile, an email. As I prepare to leave tonight I keep thinking, “it’s actually here.” The weeks of anticipation and countless hours of preparation have all come to this. But NONE of this would have been possible if it weren’t for the support around me. I promise to enjoy every minute and not take anything for granted because I know it will be over before I know it. Always remember, “The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good” so thank you again & again- your generosity, love, and support will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment